Monday, November 5, 2007

HW: 28 "An open letter to Riverbend"

After reading your posts from August I began to think a lot more about the war and how it is affecting everybody’s life so dramatically everyday. It was upsetting to read about how scared and alert you have to be all the time, even when you are in your own home. The more and more that I read about your life the more I think about my life here and how lucky some people are and they don’t even realize it. The fact that so many women are not able to attend college anymore or work in their jobs is horrible, people living in the United States need to be reminded about the conditions in Iraq and how peoples lives have changed so drastically due to the war on terrorism, I found your post on Saturday, August 23, 2003 extremely upsetting, you stated:

“Females can no longer leave their homes alone. Each time I go out. E and either a father, uncle, or cousin has to accompany me. It feels like we’ve gone back 50 years ever since the beginning of the occupation. A woman, or a girl, out alone risks anything from insults to abduction.”

It is hard for me to even imagine living like this; I have never had to deal with being scared for my own life in my own home or town. I can’t imagine how devastating it must be to be terrified for your life and watch neighbors homes be invaded and hear of young innocent children dying in just the next town over. Obviously it has hard for me to relate to you Riverbend, but by just reading your posts I have come to learn a lot more about Iraq and the war in general. Though it is definitely upsetting, I think it is important for people to read your blogs and learn more about the every day life in Iraq. I also think that is kind of you to be able to sympathize with the American troops, you are clearly able to see them suffering and wishing that they were somewhere else, I know that some people must only feel hatred towards the troops, but they too are suffering just like everybody else.

No comments: