Monday, October 22, 2007

HW 23: Jezebel and Woolf

“With Apologies to Virginia Woolf”

As most of you probably know I am extremely concerned about women and women’s rights. Women are constantly being mistreated and are often put below men. I have recently been keeping track of the blog jezebel. Which can be accessed at www.jezebel.com. What I like most about this website is that it is ultimately empowering women and giving them a place to share their thoughts and opinions. One of my favorite posts of the week was Return Of The British Bridezillas at http://jezebel.com/gossip/hells-bells/return-of-the-british-bridezillas-313638.php. This post just goes to show that women today have more control over events such as weddings, they actually get an input. I think of Jezebel as a place for women to write about topics that interest them and things that they are concerned about. After all every woman needs a place of her to write and think, and I think that Jezebel is just the place. “ A woman might write letters while she was sitting by her father’s sick-bed. She could write them by the fire whilst the men talked without disturbing them.” (Woolf 62) Blogging is a great way to be heard it brings me joy that women are able and actually allowed to express their opinions and get their voices heard. What I find most interesting is that people who are not writers still have a place to write and get feedback from their work. While this writing is much different from then what I am used to reading it is still relevant to this time period and the people that are reading it.

No comments: