Wednesday, October 24, 2007

HW: 24 A room I call my own

In chapter 5 Woolf goes into an explanation about how far history has come. In the begging of A Room Of One’s Own women were extremely inferior to men and had little or no rights. They had to attend certain schools and were only allowed to do and write certain things. Now Woolf notices a great change between men and women, she states:

“I had come to last, in the course of this rambling, to the shelves which hold books by the living; by women and by men; for there are almost as many books written by women now as by men.” (Woolf 79)

Today, women and men are considered to be equal, women are allowed to write whatever they wish to and can hold the same kinds of jobs and have intelligent conversations as men do. Today, there is not supposed to be any social difference between man and woman. Obvisouly there are always going to be people who are reluctant to think that men hold a higher status then women, however it is very hard nearly impossible to prove today.

“If we have the habit of freedom and the courage to write exactly what we think”
(Woolf 113)

Women have come such a long way since this book was written, and this quote stated by Woolf is something that she had always dreamed of. To me “A Room of One’s Own” is the ability for a person to have the freedom to write and think what they want. The comparison that she makes to a room is that back then it was not common for women to be able to express themselves It perhaps was not common to have your own room either. Today most people have their own room and women are finally able to be free of thought and write and talk about what they wish. Ironically, I do not have my own room, I have been sharing a room with two other people for three months now. I am however free to do what I went with my given space and I have room and time to write and think as I please.

No comments: